Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Who’s Cleaning the Kitchen?

I walk into the kitchen after my husband says after dinner, "Go sit, I will clean up."

All I see is a mess. Covers to pots still unwashed. Glasses of 1/2 drunk milk left on the table.

Generally I would say something negative like, "Who is cleaning up???" With a nice dose of sarcasm.

But in the past year, I have done a lot of soul searching and that journey has made me truly realize that he doesn't see what I see. He can't. He is not me. His idea of clean and mine are completely and utterly different. Our perspective is not the same.

After taking the Picture Winter workshop from http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/ I realized that this is true of most things. The daily prompt/inspirations conjured up different images from everyone. I would always get excited when someone took a similar shot as mine or had the same subject, because it meant someone was thinking like me. Still, most of the time I would stop and ponder saying, "Wow, I wouldn't' have interpreted it like that ." I absolutely loved the different perspective. It was very thought provoking.

My blogging friend over at Its Just How I See Things posted this photo for the prompt "Cracked Open."

My photo was this:

Day 6 - Cracked Open

Totally different. Neither right. Neither wrong. Simply different interpretations of the same prompt.

So when you think about it, it is just like the kitchen duty. The prompt “clean up” meant one thing to my husband and another to me. Totally different. Neither right. Neither wrong. Simply different interpretations of the same prompt.

1 comment:

  1. very wise insight, joy.

    that was one of the things i loved about p.w., too... how so many different people had so many different ways of interpreting the prompt. some days i would just shake my head and say, "man, why didn't i think of that??"

    the one you took for "cracked open" was one of my favorites of yours. so glad to be paired next to yours here. truly different ways of looking at it, like you said. kind of cool!

    thanks for the linky love and shout out to my blog, too! made me blush.
    =)

    ReplyDelete