Thursday, December 2, 2010

Challenge

Have you ever heard of Sarah Markley? I have been following her blog for about a year. I am not even sure how I stumbled across her blog, but I am certainly happy that I did. There are days when I feel like Sarah is speaking directly to me. Like Sarah I am a mother of 3 small children (she has 2), but more importantly, like Sarah I am always trying to find good; find happiness; and find a way to appreciate all that I have been blessed with.

Yesterday, I opened her blog to read her post and saw that she was doing 100 Joys. Basically, for the month of December she is looking for the joys in her life. They are the joys that are right in front our faces, but we chose to ignore or not give as much attention to. Anyway, I decided to join Sarah in this journey. For the next 31 days (well 30, because I started a day late), I will stop ignoring the things that bring me joy and celebrate them. Whether they are big or small, I will begin to notice them all.

So, I began today and "noticed" small things that brought me happiness. I made a mental note and took pictures. Still, I am not uploading the pictures tonight. I am too tired to download the few hundred pictures on my SD card. But I will tell you the little things that brought me Joy today!

#1 My two youngest children helped me wipe the dishes after dinner. Not only did they help me, but I only asked once! They even worked as a team - one dried a little and the next one finished off the job!

#2 My puppy. Duncan brings this family so much Joy. He is the sweetest dog and we we all adore him. As the kids were wiping the dishes, Duncan was curdled up on his kitchen pillow. I can't wait to post the picture of him.

#3 My 11 year old called me after hockey. He heard his father say something to me about not feeling well. I am coming down with a cold. He asked if I was okay and if I needed anything. It melts my heart when he wants to take care of me.

Hmm. I only noticed 3 things today, but that is a start! I have 97 more things to notice over the next 29 days. I am hoping that by noticing joy that it will become a habit, and it will continue long after the 31 days is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment